Welcome to the Trick or Treat Giveaway Hop. What is it you ask? Well…… 15 dog bloggers have gotten together and each have written an article teaching their favorite trick. You visit each blog and gather entries to win some amazing prizes listed below.
First of all, let’s talk prizes! All you have to do is click on the box at the bottom of this post and visit some of the other blogs listed and you can WIN:
- Grand Prize – $300 Gift Card to PetSmart – Yee Haw! Go shopping!
- Second Prize – Sponsored by Caru Pet Food. Prize is a 14 bag assortment of Caru’s Soft ‘n Tasty Baked Bites and Baked Bars. Estimated value is $100.
- Caru Pet Food makes some tasty stews to add to your dog’s regular diet. They have some amazing treats in many different flavors.
- Third Prize – Sponsored by Nature’s Logic. Prize is 1 bag of canine beef lung treats, 1 bag of canine beef liver treats, 1 bag of canine beef tendon treats for 3 lbs of treats in total. Estimated value is $80.
- Nature’s Logic is one of the only dry pet food that has no synthetic vitamins. I have followed this company for a while and I love what they do. They also have some pretty fabulous raw food, treats,supplements, bones and food for cats.
- Fourth Prize – Sponsored by The Honest Kitchen. The prize pack will include the new Nice Mussels plus Wishes, Pecks (8 oz), Beams (7 oz), Quickies, and Smooches (16 oz). Estimated value is $72.
- Honest Kitchen makes amazing dehydrated food for dogs and cats. It’s whole food that has been dehydrated and all you have to do is add water. Great for travel and camping. They have some amazing treats too like in this yummy prize package.
Mid-week Social Media Prize – $20 Gift Card to PetSmart + Bow Tie from Brooklyn Bowtied . We will all post a photo with a question on Instagram and followers can enter by leaving a comment and tagging 2 friends. Each post will link to another blogger’s Instagram account, so people can enter on each of our Instagram pages to boost their chances of winning. Posts will go up Saturday AM (10/22) and comments will close Sunday (10/23) midnight. We will choose one winner from ALL the comments/entries.**
Winners announced October 31st. Here’s my favorite trick!
Trail Tricks – On a Rock
This is me and my dogs favorite trail trick. It’s the simple action of the dog jumping onto a rock, log, park bench, anything that is off of the ground. Dogs love it, it brings focus to you and they are thrilled that you are engaging with them.
For Mick, when he is getting on rocks and waiting for me, I know he is “with me”. If he is in his hunting mode and seeking things in the forest and not getting on rocks when I ask him, then he goes on leash until he can focus again.
Romeo just loves the trail trick and jumps on about 50 rocks in an hour hike, of which I will only reward 8-10, but he still tries, he thinks “is this one good enough for a treat”. When I do give him a treat he is so joyful that he got it right.
Goal: when you are out and about, you say your word for the behavior, point or show your dog which object you want them onto, your dog jumps up onto something like a rock, log or a bench. You deliver a treat and then release with your release word.
Why it’s a good behavior: Your dog is focused on you when you are outside. He is looking for the next object to jump onto. It’s fun! It will make you laugh! It’s very engaging for you and your dog, deepening your relationship. It makes you interesting on the trail. Your dog will focus on you rather than wildlife, dogs, people. The trick is great for picture taking. The reasons are endless, but I guarantee, you and your dog will love it.
Step by Step
- Lure your dog with a moist, tiny treat up onto a rock that he can jump onto. Not too high, you don’t want shoulder injuries.
- As he/she gets on the rock, say your word “rock” (call it anything you want, just be consistent).
- Repeat many times.
- Respond with glee when they are on the object.
- When your dog is proficient in getting onto rocks, you can work on sits, downs, stand, stay on flat surfaces. It’s really fun!
- Use your release word, “okay” or whatever you use to get off the rock.
- If your dog gets into the game and begins to offer the behavior a lot (like Romeo), begin to only reward the really good ones or only the ones that you asked for, your call.
- I set some criteria for rewards. You set your own, here are mine. If you make me laugh, you definitely get a treat. Individuality gets a great. If you are balanced like you are on a ball, you definitely get a treat. If you have been driving me crazy annoying another dog and now you have gotten on a rock, I definitely appreciate the focus and you will get a treat. Like I said, you set your own criteria for your dog.
- If your dog keeps upping the ante, like getting higher and higher, help them down and do not reward these high places. I’ve encountered that with my dogs. Only reward safe places.
- When I’m not going to treat a dog on a rock, I just say “good rock” “let’s go”.
- You can use “rock” to get your dogs off to the side of the trail when people or bikes are coming. It’s a great way to distract your dog from anything that you need to, other dogs, people, noises, bikes, bears, deer.
- The photo opportunities are endless!!!
- Downside, your dog might want to jump on tables. You might not encourage picnic tables.
- Use one word for getting on to things. Mine is rock, so if I want them to jump onto a log, the cue word is still “rock”.
Trail Tricks – Wait then Come
- Here is the next step of the trick. If you have a “wait” or “stay” try this: Once your dog had conquered the “rock” trick, now have him “wait” on the rock, you go ahead 10-20 steps, then release and calm him to you. My dogs go crazy for this trick and now you are practicing three different things, rock, wait and come.
- Continue to increase the distance you walk away.
- Now you are practicing Wait or Stay, Release (use your release word first “OK”), and Come.
Here is a little video of Mick & Romeo playing the wait game on the trail.
Visit these Blog sites from Oct 20 – 30 learn their tricks and get more entries to WIN!
The Trick or Treat Giveaway Hop is a sponsored by Caru Pet Food, Nature’s Logic, and The Honest Kitchen. Thank you to these generous companies so we can share their goodness and have some fun!
The Giveaway Hop is closed. It sure was fun! Here are the winnners!